Sunday, September 21, 2014

Internet spaceships I have known and loved, lusted and hated

From CCP Rubicon toolkit
When you start playing Eve, you're initially asked a bunch of questions about what faction you want to play as. At first blush, this might look to be even less consequential that your actual avatar, and certainly that's what many new player advice-givers assert. I chose to play as Gallente, drawn toward the introductory text about democracy and freedom. The Caldari's corporate-centricity was too Ferengi, the Amarr's religious zealotry was off-putting, and the Minmatar ... well, I don't remember. Gallente it was!

This decision, though, actually does have one major impact: it dictates players' starter spaceship, and the type of freeby ships they get via the tutorial missions, and from there some of the particular skills (especially weapons related) you're encouraged to train. Certainly a player can pick up and train for other factions' ships and weapons, but there's a lot to be said about continuing down a particular road once you've started. In my case, I have focused a lot on hybrid gun sills -- but, I have virtually no skills trained up in laser weapons, missiles, or projectile guns. While I can still train up to fly other factions' ships, I do so at the risk of not taking advantage of those vessels' built-in weapon bonuses -- which, as we recall from Awful Loss of the Day bingo, is a bad thing. So, I have stuck mainly to Gallente hulls.

Still, I have no regrets. Here, then, is a gallery of what I've strapped into and sometimes had blown out from under me. All images save the last are from a database export published by CCP. I am, for now, omitting the various mining ships and cargo haulers I've flown; more on those later, perhaps.

Real basics

The old pod, the spaceship within a spaceship whence Eemiv and Dengar control their powerful vessels. I've lost plenty of ships, but I've only once had the pod itself (and the bod inside) destroyed.
The shuttle is a quick little dude. Had to use it for some airshow-esque mission in the styx. Held onto it, though. Not sure why. Perhaps because it's the only symmetrical Gallente ship I've found.

Frigates and destroyers

The Velator is the starter frigate. On those few occasions when I send a character in their pod alone to e.g. pick up a ship waiting elsewhere, I get a message from the in-game insurance company lamenting the "loss" of my ship, and telling me they've "conveniently" delivered a new Velator at my destination. I've owned and scrapped more Velators than any other hull.
The Atron is a sweet-looking ship, and my first heads-up that the Gallente really aren't quite into symmetry. Ordinarily, this would be kind of a problem for me. But, despite their lopsidedness, Gallente ships still look remarkably balanced and sometimes even organic. These ships should drive me nuts but they don't.

Eemiv has flown an Imicus for stealing salvage and loot. This ship also has some nice bonuses for other equipment that might make it a decent explorer, too.
The Incursus, which is apparently part narwhal, is Dengar's most frequent fighting platform.

The Tristan is an odd-looking ship with a cool warp animation. Not much else to say about it.

As you can tell from the distinct lines and color scheme, the Astero is not a Gallente ship. Instead, it was created by the Sisters of Eve faction. This ship is built for covert exploration. I took it out for a spin but was underwhelmed by some limitations on how it could be rigged up; after a few trips, I sold it back.

The Catalyst is a destroyer, meant specifically for blowing up frigates. This is a cool looking ship; it's breadth, outrigger pilot area, and generous engine mounts are reminiscent of the Millennium Falcon.

Cruisers and battlecruisers

I suspect for as long as I play Eve, the Thorax cruiser will have a special place in my heart. It was the first ship I had to wait to fly: not only did I need to train up to the larger hull, but I also needed to wait for some new gunnery skills. My Thorax is also the first ship I named after my wife. And, really, it is just pretty cool looking. I recently made an investment in five Thoraxes for Dengar to use in her Red vs. Blue PvP activities. I expect them to die quickly and gloriously; they shant receive any special names.

I just wrote quite a bit about the Stratios. As you can see, it comes from the same faction as the Astero frigate. Whereas the ships for the four main factions require training up only for those factions' ships, ships coming from the Sisters of Eve or various pirate factions require skills from two of the core factions. In the case of the Stratios, I needed to train up not only for Gallente cruisers but also Amarr cruisers.
The notion of bigger ships being slower and less agile really hit me with the Brutix battlecruiser. Like the Thorax, the Brutix receives bonuses to its guns; the Thorax and Brutix both have companion ships that instead offer bonuses for drone combat. At this point, I was neglecting drones and drone skills: that would surely change.

Not long after first sitting in a Brutix, I bought a more robust version of the same hull, the Brutix Navy Edition. Several ships have "Navy Edition" variants that offer better weapon and protection statistics, not to mention a camouflage-looking paintjob. Alas, these aren't enough to save you from not reading. The picture at right is of the Brutix Navy Edition.

Battleships and marauders

Most new player guides suggest stopping for a breather at battlecruisers if you're the type to race up to train bigger and badder ships. That surely describes and, despite all Eve advice to the contrary, I still itched for a battleship even after rocking around a Brutix. Indeed, pausing with the Brutix in a way was forced on me: in addition to the time required to train even to fly a basic battleship, it required a new family of gunnery skills. Additionally, fitting all the ancillary support gear (armor repairers, armor hardeners, etc.) required their own expanded skillset.

But, once squared away with the basics, I promptly stepped into a Megathron Navy Edition, and that's the ship I've spent the most time flying. It's a great mission-runner, though a bit slow both to track fast-moving targets and to maneuver itself around. I addressed the former by training up drone skills pretty handily. And for both issues, I used a micro jump drive to instantly move myself 100km from the riffraff to essentially become a stationary gun platform: all of a sudden, fast-moving ships lose much of their speed advantage when all they're doing is racing right at you for an extended range.

As much as it was a big step up to the Megathron, it's been a bigger step into the Kronos marauder (at right): a Megathron hull with a different color scheme and some special animation, among other things. While jumping away and becoming a gun platform was one of several possible tactics with the Megathron, it's very much the purpose behind the Kronos and other marauders. These ships carry bastion modules that render them stationary but provide big bonuses to weapon range, shields and armor, and electronic counter measures. This is a type of ship I eyeballed flying very early in Eve, and for a few weeks I've been happily flying one. I'll close this out with a great illustration (larger versions available) featuring a couple of Kronoses readying for an engagement.

From CCP Fansite Kit

No comments:

Post a Comment