Tuesday, September 23, 2014

I'd like to buy a comma

Almost four months after creating my station-trading character, his balance has cleared three billion ISK. Huzzah!

There are lots of little asterisks, though. For one thing, when I started playing Eve, I bought and cashed in a few Plex to buy shiny ships and some ridiculous modules. The ships I couldn't fly right away. However, some of the very high-end modules have the advantage of not requiring similarly sky-high support skills to use.

Glad I kept the receipt for this monster
From CCP Hyperion toolkit
As such, a chunk of the money here comes from selling back those unnecessary modules. Their inherent value just make me a bigger target. I've also trained up my skills so that I can almost always equip the "tech 2" variant of a piece of equipment. Tech 2 modules have steeper skill requirements to use, but their performance stats are almost equal to higher-performance, easier-to-equip, and silly-expensive modules I started with. I've also sold back a ship: remember my hauling alt, Laung? I sold back his freighter.

The majority of this money, though, comes simply from buying low and selling high. It happens in increments: tiny little day-to-day fluctuations interspersed with big spikes. For example, I placed a 500-unit buy order this weekend for one particular widget, and they've trickled in one by one. Last night, though, 424 of them showed up in my hanger. I'll log in soon to start selling them off before the high-low sales points get too close (i.e. profit margin either diminishes or, at worst, I have to wait for the margins to open again).

It's feels nice to be comfortably self-sustaining in-game. Really, some of that stems from not playing very often and not putting high-value ships at much risk. But, I'm hoping the change the latter in the near future. It's also nice knowing that I have enough in-game currency to buy back the Plex I initially cashed in. The utility of buying it back is that 1 Plex can be converted into 31 days of game time. This will be useful to continue to train up Eemiv and Dengar in parallel (you need to use Plex to allow a second or third character to train in parallel with an already-training character). Indeed, one of the things I most like about Eve is that it's possible to play well enough in-game such that you can cover your game subscription.

No comments:

Post a Comment