Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Thieving

Well, I stole something. I hadn't planned to, and thieving's never really occurred to me as something to do. A few times in the high-security space I usually fly in, I've seen and poked at others' wrecked ships or dropped cargo containers, but I've been warned about thieving and have always just sauntered off.

Not earlier this week, though. Fiddling with scanning down "cosmic signatures" -- isolated spots that contain pirate sites, relics, other neat and valuable stuff -- I found a wormhole. Wormholes connect to areas with no laws, the figurative wild west. They tend to have lots of valuable loot and dangerous opponents. So, I popped in and looked. Scanned a bunch of interesting stuff that I might've gone after if I'd been in a more appropriate wormhole exploration ship.

From tiefighters.com
And I also found a secure container. Except the password to secure the container wasn't set. Curious, I flew over, considering along the way that it was bait. But, no: opened the crate, saw a bunch of mjolnir heavy missiles. About 200,000 ISK worth. Just sitting there.

But not for long. Not a huge fortune, but more than I'd had a moment before. No warning from the game about being vulnerable to violent reprisal, no risk of the space-cops coming down. Just there to take.

One of the undercurrents of Eve how-tos and tutorials is, "You'll make a mistake and learn not to do it again." It's happened to me already. I suppose this missile stockpiler will be more diligent about setting passwords.

For myself, I've learned that stealing is easy. Later, I might learn that that stealing isn't easy, and more often than not is a trap. We'll see?

No comments:

Post a Comment