Thursday, April 3, 2014

Spreadsheets ... in spaaaaace!

I did an incognito-mode Google search for "spreadsheets in space," and the top hits are Eve-oriented pages and images. A pair of developer blog posts (here and here) from the last two weeks present seven charts, two diagrams, one table and even an actual spreadsheet. Some of the UI presents tabularized data: contracts, market trends. Easy from quick glances to get clued in to whence the "Spreadsheet Simulator in Space" moniker.

On the flip side, the Polygon article I mentioned last month references but dismisses the label; veteran players report never creating a spreadsheet to help with Eve. One of those Google hits is an article titled "Why EVE Online Isn't The Spreadsheet Simulator You Might Think It Is." The developers partnered with Dark Horse Comics to release a four-issue series depicting players' stories about their game experiences. I've read all four issues (they're free online until 6 June), and there's nary a spreadsheet. Those in-game spreadsheets are for features and gameplay aspects a novice player isn't likely to stumble into, or at least use, until he or she is more vested in the game; mission information, ship-fitting, and the spaceflight UI are much more image-driven.

I work in education, and we often talk about and look for data: program efficacy, student performance, trends in grading and assessment, attendance. To paraphrase Wendy's, "Where's the data?" The reminder we often give ourselves, and to parents around grades and assessments, is that data is useful for influencing and discussing decisions, but it isn't a final determinant. And that notion is what I think comes into play with Eve: data informs decisions, but it isn't the gameplay itself.

Although the notion of playing a stellar (haha) spreadsheet simulator didn't affect my decision to start, I can absolutely see how they can be useful in Eve. I created my first Eve spreadsheet to figure out what it would take to earn enough in-game cash from mining nearby ores to avoid paying real-world dollars for a subscription. Turns out, it would take 2-3 hours of mining every day: that's a lot of time, and mining is not how I want to spend it. So, I've set that aside and jumped into the contracts system, hauling freight from one place to another. In the process, I've had two ships blown out from under me -- I'll write about those lessons learned later -- but it's been pretty fun. Probably making less money, but at least I know mining right now won't yield lots of real-world savings.

And then I created a spreadsheet to help prioritize skills to train. There are nice tools out there: I hear EVEMon is great under Windows, and I still use its Vitality Mac form as a referent. But, I made my own tool to prioritize and lay things out. It helped me solve a conundrum or two and to experiment with  some what ifs other tools don't handle so well.

I like that the folks who make Eve seem so aware of data. They're changing the way drones work based on a stark statistic showing that two of the four races' drones account for the vast majority of shots fired; the other two are rarely used. They explained the rationale behind the change clearly, and the spreadsheet I mentioned above shows how stats will stand once the change is implemented. I've noticed two other queries for data: a survey about participation in a recent tournament, and the aforementioned process of creating the Dark Horse comics. More than other game developers I've seen, the folks at CCP seem to relish the quantitative and qualitative and, like their players, keep an eye turned toward it when deciding what to do next.

No comments:

Post a Comment