Sunday, April 10, 2016

Closing shop

It's been an age since my last post, and not much has changed.

Well, a ton has changed, but the underlying sentiment from February 2015 -- that real life is displacing any time for meaningful Eve interaction -- has calcified. This week I logged in for the first time in months to reallocate attribute points and to update the skill queue, but I won't renew my subscription when it lapses in about five weeks.

I'd like to think that if I had more time, I'd be incredibly keen on jumping into World War Bee against the Imperium. Much as I enjoy TheMittani.com, my brief spell in an Imperium-affiliated corporation was repulsive. The median age of Eve's players is ~32 (more data here), but I would have guessed otherwise based on the wretched (i.e. racist, misogynist, homophobic) language scattered all over the Imperium's web presence. It's not just an Eve thing; take a loot at the gaming community's other sporadic descents into madness, e.g. "gamergate." But, for a game that so notoriously requires a bunch of smarts to master, it's a shame it doesn't always bring social graces. Or just kindness.

(Surely there are lots of very nice people on Eve: I've been one of them, and I've written before about a couple of others I encountered. I suppose this is another instance of a mindset having a loud mouth disproportionate to its adherents.)

Then again, I was an active player for a year-ish, and PvP never really caught my passion. Even before my daughter arrived, there was just so much other real-world content to latch onto.

All that said: I'm not liquidating my assets, and if circumstances change and allow me to make a subscription meaningful again, I'll jump right back in my Ishtar (or Kronos or ... something else) and happily putter around.

No comments:

Post a Comment